You’d think it would be easy to fill up advent calendars with gifts.
Well, it is!
With these Christmas calendar filler ideas for kids you’ll have yours filled in no time.
If you are here for the advent calendar fillers for teenagers, they have moved to their very own post. Of course, some of the ideas in this article work for teens too.
Still looking for the perfect advent calendar? You’ll love these Christmas calendar ideas.
**This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase after clicking one of these links I might get a small commission at no extra cost to you.
1. Toys and Games
All the kids like toys and games! So this one is always a safe category to choose from.
You’ll find all kinds of inexpensive, fun things to put in the advent calendar at dollar stores and stores that sell party supplies.
Though dollar store toys can have a reputation of not lasting long, sometimes you hit the jack pot.
When my oldest daughter was one I got her a cute snowman from dollar store. When you pushed the tummy you’d here a Christmas tune.
I was sure that it would not last long.
Was I wrong! Several years later that snowman still happily caroled.
- bouncy balls like these fun Drop Dot Balls “the hottest toy of the season”
- LEGO pieces to a kit (give a few pieces each day)
- DUPLO blocks for toddlers
- puzzle pieces (give a few pieces each day)
- balloons (uninflated)
- mini beach balls (uninflated)
- bullets for nerf guns
- Barbie accessories
- doll clothes
- jump rope
- mini flashlight
- pretend food
- matchbox cars
- travel game sets
- play dough
- game cards
- finger puppets
- dollhouse furniture
- a treasure map or clues for finding a hidden gift
- glow sticks
- water growing toys
- glitter putty
- paddle ball
- scrabble pieces (put one for each day, pick letters that spell a fun message)
2. Stuff for Creating
If your kids love to make crafts and you find having glitter and paper pieces all over the place charming, then this is your category!
- acrylic paint
- wood cut outs to paint (They come in various shapes and are inexpensive. Buy a few and let the decorating begin! You could also glue a ribbon loop in the back and use them as Christmas ornaments.)
- charms (inexpensive sets)
- gel pens
- ink pens
- finger paint
- holiday pencils
- rock painting kit
- pom poms
- color scratch paper
- sidewalk chalk
- craft kit
- chenille stems
- popsicle sticks
- glitter glue
3. Something to Wear
I don’t know who would not love to find fun holiday socks in the advent calendar.
Put in the Christmas calendar fun things from bracelets to ties.
- socks (holiday, fuzzy… any kind of socks)
- bike gloves
- ballet slippers
- leg warmers
- scrunchies (cool collections)
- hair bands and clips
4. Baking Fun
An easy and practical advent calendar gift for her or him! You probably bake with your kids during the Holiday season.
Why not put in the calendar some cute things for your next baking time.
Practical and fun! Can’t beat that.
5. Something to Eat or Drink
We all got to eat something… and why not some fun, easy treats.
- hot chocolate packets
- single serve hot chocolate mix in salt shaker
- juice box
- drink mix
- pop corn
- trail mix
- candy cane seeds (free printable bag topper and gift tag)
- fruit snacks
- snack mix
- Grinch pills (green Tic Tac, Sixlets, m&ms)
- old fashioned candy
Single Serve Hot Chocolate Mix In Salt Shaker
- 2-3 tsp of cocoa
- 1-2 TBS of sugar (white and brown)
- mini marshmallows
- salt shaker with a handle (check out the dollar stores too for inexpensive salt and pepper shakers)
- tiny candy cane (optional)
- twine and decorations (optional)
(When ready to use, heat 1 cup of milk to be stirred in with the hot chocolate mix.)
6. Money, Money, Money
The older the kid, the more they’ll appreciate finding money in their advent calendar.
- rolled up dollar bills (tie with a ribbon or a paper clip)
- $1 coins
- $2 bills
- gift cards
7. For Home
This is a perfect time to get something cute for your kids room.
I think that even tweens and teens would love cool dresser drawer knobs or fun hooks for the wall.
- Christmas ornaments
- LED tea light candle
- tiny real or fake plant
- picture frame
- mini snow globe
- fun hook for the wall
- cool dresser knobs (So many options to choose!)
- wall decal
- waterproof stickers for cups or water bottles
- night light
- curtain holder (tiebacks of all kinds for everyone)
8. Notes for Activities
One of the fabulous choices is the activities.
These are all easy and won’t break the bank.
December is such a busy time for many of us so pick activities that are simple and doable. Something that won’t stress you out.
- make paper snowflakes
- create or sign Christmas cards
- bake cookies
- make a puzzle
- sing Christmas songs
- go to see Christmas lights
- visit Santa
- play Christmas themed games
- read a Christmas book
- decorate your room for Christmas
- attend Christmas parade
- minute-to-win-it games
Some of these cool things to do with kids at home would also be perfect activities to include in the advent calendar.
9. Advent Calendar Fillers for Teen Girls
Of course, many of the items mentioned above work for teen girls too. But here are a few things that might also appeal to them.
- push pins
- paper clips
- locker magnets
- Post-it notes
- mini clothes pins and twine (for hanging up photos)
- nail polish
- make up (mascara, lip stick, eye shadow…)
- bath bomb
- make up brushes
- make up remover cloth
- compact mirror
- travel size stuff (conditioner, shampoo, lotion, hand sanitizer)
- flash drive
More Ideas for Teenagers!
Since writing this post I thought that teens need their own list so I put together 99 advent calendar filler ideas for teenage girls and boys! Want to see them?
Cheerful Daisy has an awesome list of stocking stuffers for teen girls. Many of those could work as advent calendar gifts too.
Small Christmas budget?
Though these are inexpensive ideas, it all adds up and advent calendar fillers can end up costing a lot. What’s the solution…
Candy is an inexpensive way (and loved by kids) to fill up a few bags, drawers, or whatever you are using as the advent calendar.
If you have trouble choosing what to put in the Christmas calendar, start by picking a couple of things from each advent calendar gift category.
Give yourself the gift of receiving easy party and activity ideas!
My name is Tuula and I love to plan fun activities and parties. My site: Great Memories the Easy Way – MyTuesdayTherapy.com is all about having fun and making great memories.
Having fun and making those great memories should not make you feel like you need therapy… unless it is MyTuesdayTherapy.com.
I know, a weird url for a party and activity site. To make the long story short, I first wrote about my chronic health problems. Then I added some easy activity ideas since every mom, no matter how exhausted, wants to have fun with her kids and make great memories with them.
Later on I switched the focus to activity and party ideas but kept the url that has so much meaning to me.
It’s all about fun now!