Do you toss and turn? Have trouble falling asleep after 10pm? Fall asleep only to wake up with a racing heart? And then stay up hours. Do you wake up just as tired or worse than when you went to bed?
How can it be that you are exhausted but can’t sleep? It is one of the frustrating things of adrenal fatigue. Really frustrating. I tried different natural sleep remedies and found some that worked for me.
*This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase through my links, I’ll get a small commission at no extra cost to you.*
Consult your healthcare provider before starting any treatments.
Why Can’t I Sleep Between 1 and 4 AM
Both high and low cortisol cause insomnia. If you often wake up between 1 and 4 am, it could be caused by a dip in cortisol level. During that time, your cortisol levels are naturally the lowest. But if the level goes too low, your blood sugar level could drop too. Cortisol aids in the blood sugar regulation so they can go hand in hand.
The dip in glucose level causes your body to produce adrenaline and it tells your body that you need to eat to bring up the blood sugar level. So, you could look at it as a protection mechanism. I used to keep nuts or other snacks on my night stand for the in the middle of the night glucose level drops.
Severe adrenal fatigue is fatigue that won’t go away with a good night sleep or two… or several. If you have a mild case, the best thing you can do is to sleep and sleep. You should also sleep as much as you can when you have a severe adrenal fatigue. It just won’t be a quick fix but it will help in your recovery. Your body does a lot of healing while you are sleeping.Severe adrenal fatigue can’t be cured with a good night sleep or two…or several.Click To Tweet
How to Cure Adrenal Fatigue Insomnia
The best way to cure adrenal fatigue insomnia: heal the adrenals. But meanwhile you still need to get some … a lot of sleep.The best way to cure adrenal fatigue insomnia: heal the adrenals. (until then try these remedies)Click To Tweet
I suffered from insomnia for over a decade. It was horrible. I was so tired but couldn’t sleep. My sleep was never restful. I used to get heart palpitations when I lay down. Kind of hard to fall asleep when your heart is pounding. And often after I managed to fall asleep I woke up with a racing heart.
I found myself in the frustrating position of being exhausted but unable to sleep. But realizing that I needed to sleep in order to heal, I looked into natural ways to help with the problem.
Which Natural Sleep Remedies Work
I read on many sites that “go to bed before 10″. Or “go to bed when you feel sleepy”. That one can be tricky if you are a mom of small children. Usually, I was at the point of collapsing out of exhaustion at bed time. It helped that my oldest is very motherly so she took a lot of responsibility of her younger siblings getting them ready for bed. (My husband worked long night shift hours so he was gone in the evenings.)
It can be frustrating finding natural sleep remedies that work for you. Here are some you can try:
- Peaceful bedtime routine… for your kids too.
- Avoid watching TV or being on screen right before bed time. The blue light makes you more alert and suppresses the melatonin production. Which makes it harder to go to sleep. I have heard that some wear blue-light blocking glasses if they must use phones, tablets, laptops at night. They even have blue-light blocking clip-ons.
- Take a nice, warm bath. Some like the relaxing effects of Epsom Salt baths. Those were too much for me. I took one and was completely wiped out after it. I thought that my heart would stop beating.
- Have your spouse stroke your back.
- Listen to shoothing music (Bach, Handel, Vivaldi).
- Do some breathing exercises.
- Press acupressure points. This acupressure book is very helpful. You can find the points I pressed in my Daily Routine (part 2) article which is coming in late August.
- Practice Emotional Freedom Technique.
- Eat some honey and a tiny bit of salt at bedtime.
- Try also these tips on my Pinterest board.
Best Natural Sleep Supplements for Adrenal Fatigue
I took various kinds of natural sleep supplements including the following.
- Deep Sleep – Protogenx
- Bio-Identical Melatonin – Protogenx
- Native Rest by Dr. Al Sears
- Valerian Root (I can’t remember the brand I used but this is a good one)
The ones that worked best for me were Deep Sleep with Bio-Identical Melatonin; and Native Rest. I used Native Rest successfully when traveling to Finland and dealing with the 7-hour time difference.
Too much of melatonin can cause opposite reaction. So start with a small amount. I started with a 1 drop of Bio-Identical Melatonin and 5 drops of Deep Sleep.
Or I used 1 – 3 sprays of Native Rest.
Don’t get discouraged if healing takes a long time. The damage usually doesn’t happen over night, neither does the healing. It can take months or years to get to the point where you can sleep without sleep aids.
Even though I began sleeping better with the help of the supplements, I was exhausted for a very long time. Don’t give up. Keep working on healing your adrenals.
Wishing you peaceful, healing sleep and sweet dreams.
You might also be interested in: